Working on VNSNY makes us particularly aware of the needs of the elderly and their caregivers. Browsing through the Creative Review, I found an interesting article called “Design tackles dementia.”
Aging comes with its challenges – one in three people living to the age of 65 will experience some form of dementia. The UK’s Design Council asked for practical products and service solutions that could be launched as real initiatives and bring social innovation to the issue of living with dementia.
Here are the five winning ideas:
• A wristband that keeps somebody safe outside and allows them to be found in case of an emergency.
• A support network for caregivers who need flexible work hours.
• Stimulating eating habits through smells.
• An online hub for caregivers.
• A companion dog that aids daily routines.
Take a look at a few short videos explaining each of the ideas here.